Translate

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What Ignatius taught

Humility -
It is true I am a prisoner for the Name's sake, but I am by no means perfect in Jesus Christ as yet; I am only a beginner in the discipleship, and I am speaking to you as fellow-scholars with myself. I, who was the last and least of the faithful, yet I have been deemed worthy to set forward the honor of God.
Unifying - 
I can count myself as one of you, and rejoice with you that your affections are not set upon things of this Earthly life, but on God alone.
Salvation -
From now on, then, we must bear ourselves with humility, and tremble at God's patience for fear it should turn into a judgement upon us. Let us either attempt to flee from His future Wrath, or else embrace His present Grace. As, for me my Spirit is now all humble devotion to the Cross; the Cross which so greatly offends the unbelievers, but is the salvation and eternal life to us. 
Sanctification -
For life begins and ends with two qualities. Faith is the beginning, and Love is the end; and the only Union of the two is found in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment