Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2012

from chris martin 17...

Favorite lines from Greg Gilbert’s, “What is the Gospel?”

Hey there.  I haven’t posted in a while, but I thought I would post a few of my favorite lines from a book I just finished reading entitled, What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert.  It was a fantastic book and a short read.  I highly suggest it.  I know you can get the book for dirt cheap, or you can borrow my copy!  Here are a few of the parts I highlighted:
“With his very first words, Paul insists that humanity is not autonomous.  We did not create ourselves, and we are neither self-reliant nor autonomous” (28).
“To have someone say you to you, ‘I’m coming to save you!” is really not good news at all unless you believe you actually need to be saved” (30).
“God.  Man.  Christ.  Response” (32).
In regards to how we often see God, “For the most part, he’s kind, affable, slightly dazed and needy but very loving grandfather who has wishes but no demands, can be safely ignored if you don’t have time for him, and is very, very, very, understanding of the fact that human beings make mistakes–much more understanding, in fact, than the rest of us are” (38-39).  (Pretty epic quote if you ask me…)
“The loving and compassionate God does not leave the guilty unpunished” (43).
“You see, nobody wants a God that declines to deal with evil.  They just want a God who declines to deal with their evil” (44).
“If we reduce sin to a mere breaking of relationship, rather than understanding it as the traitorous rebellion of a beloved subject against his good and righteous king, we will never understand why the death of God’s Son was required to address it” (52).
Regarding sin, “But because we will continue to struggle with sin until we are glorified, we have to remember that genuine repentance is more fundamentally a matter of the heart’s attitude toward sin than it is a mere change of behavior” (81).
“If you are a Christian, realize that you hold in your hands the only true message of salvation the world will ever hear” (120).
——
I have so many more parts highlighted, but any more quotes and I may be breaking the law.  :P  Basically, you need to buy this book.  It’s really awesome and a great tool to teach yourself even more about the Good News of Jesus Christ, as well as, telling it to others.  I hope you’ll buy the book, or request to borrow it from me.
Have a great day!
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment