Translate

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Rediscovering the Church Fathers

My 1st Birthday present. My wife got me Michael A G Haykin's book


Rediscovering the Church Fathers - who the were and how they shaped the church 

Listen to these opening quotes:
"There can be no healthy theology without a solid grounding in the Fathers." Edward T Oakes

"If I had my time over again, I would have studied Patristics (the Fathers) rather that [the] Reformation." Carl Trueman

There is probably no truer words from me on what is vitally needed in American Christianity than a clean unadulterated definition of the Gospel (being God's Work, not ours) and then Sunday School study of the most important Early Church letters.

So what are they: If I only had 5 weeks to teach on the Fathers

Mathetes letter to Diognetus
martyrdom of Polycarp
the Didache
Ignatius of Antioch
& 2nd Clement

If you want to hear Dr Michael Haykin preach on Paul's Mission to Spain at Calvary
here is the LINK

Released: September 16, 2012      By: Dr. Michael Haykin

Dr Michael Haykin is the professor of Church history and Biblical Spirituality and Director of the Andrew Fuller Center for Baptist Studies at THE SOUTHERN BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY. He is also the editor of Eusebeia: The Bulletin of the Andrew Fullter Center for Baptist Studies. His present areas of research include 18th century British Baptist life and thought, as well as Patristic Trinitarianism and Baptist Piety. Haykin is a prolific writer having authored numerous books, over 250 articles and over 150 book reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment