Translate

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Confession of Sin – adapted from 2 parts of poems from The Valley of Vision


Confession of Sin –
O God of Grace,
Thou hast imputed my sin to my substitute,
And has imputed his righteousness to my soul,
Clothing me with a bridegroom’s robe,
Decking me with jewels of holiness.
But in my Christian walk I am still in rags;
                  My best prayers are stained with sin;
                  My penitential tears are so much impurity;
                  My confessions of wrongs are so many aggravations of sin;
                   My receiving of the Spirit is punctured with selfishness.
I need to repent of my repentance;
I need my tears to be washed;
I have no robe to bring to cover my sin,
                  No loom to weave my own righteousness;
Thou blessed Spirit, Author of all Grace & Comfort
Come, work repentance in my soul;
Represent sin to me in its odious colours that I may hate it;
Melt my heart by the majesty and mercy of God;
Show me my ruined self & the help there in Him;
Teach me to behold my Creator,
                  His ability to save,
                  His arms outstreached,
                  His heart big for me.
May I confide in his power & love,
                  Commit my soul to him without reserve,
                  Bear his image,
                  Observe his laws,
                  Pursue his service,
                  And be through time and eternity
                                    A monument to the efficacy of his grace,
                                    A trophy of his victory.
Make me willing to be saved in this way,
                  Perceiving nothing in myself, but all in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment